Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Sharks, Killing Me


Photo courtesy of my bootcamp buddy and Blackhawks fan, Matthew O'Donnell

After Game 2 of the Sharks/Kings first round matchup, I wrote, "this series could still easily go 6 or 7 games." Well, I didn't actually expect the Sharks to prove me correct. If anyone recalls, a near identical scenario played out during the 2011 playoffs. In the first round, the Sharks could have put LA away in 5 games, but allowed the series to go 6. In the second round, San Jose had Detroit dead to rights with a 3 games to 0 advantage. The Wings proceeded to win the next three, forcing a tiebreaker in SJ, where the Sharks managed to dig deep and win. However, they had nothing left for the Western Conference Finals. After back to back grueling playoff rounds, they were swept handily by the Vancouver Canucks. I see 2014 playing out similarly.

You can probably tell where I'm going with this. The overarching point is the Sharks have doomed themselves, regardless of the outcome of tomorrow's Game 7. They are essentially backed into a lose-lose corner. If they do fall to LA, then they're only the fourth team in NHL history to blow a 3-0 series lead. They will be the laughing stock of the 2014 playoffs and solidify their league wide reputation as choke artists. However, if the Sharks find a way to win Game 7, they get to move forward banged up. Their reward is an extra 60 minutes of bumps, bruises, cross checks, high sticks and absorbed hits. Not to mention the questionable status of defenseman Marc-Edward Vlasic and whoever else might get injured along the way. It's no secret that down the stretch, any rest counts. After the first three games, I was so optimistic for San Jose because they had a chance at a short series. Well that opportunity is gone. With what the last few games have shown me, I don't think a deep playoff run is likely. Now, the Sharks should count themselves lucky to make the second round.

Don't get me wrong, the Sharks still have a fantastic team and could make a strong push towards the finals(Emphasis on "could"). Also, I'm not saying multiple 6/7 game series' make a championship season impossible. But, they haven't helped themselves by allowing this series to go the distance. Especially since every other team in the Western Conferene has played 6 games or more. The Sharks were fast tracked to success and they blew the opportunity. If they win tomorrow, one can only hope they have enough left in the tank when it really counts.

Hopefully I have to eat these words in a few weeks.













1 comment:

  1. Correction: Vancouver didn't sweep San Jose in 2011. It was 4 games to 1

    ReplyDelete