Saturday, April 26, 2014

Not a Shark Attack



Imagine the ideal scenario for the San Jose Sharks. Maybe it involves winning Game 5 on home ice? Not returning to LA and giving the Kings a shred of hope? Moving on to the second round relatively unscathed and  healthy? Well none of those things happened. The Sharks want to be lame, they want to make it difficult.

I don't really have too much to say, this game blew. Through two periods the Sharks had 22 giveaways... 22. Not impressive, not ideal. You can't win games that way. Niemi gave up 3 goals on 19 shots, a .84 save percentage. I know you can't put all the blame on him (horrible team effort overall), but he needs to be better. Stellar goaltending is a must to win the cup. As a cup winner himself, Niemi should know. Or, was 2010 a fluke year for him? Anyway, Alex Stalock rocked a two period shutout while assuming the cleanup role. I love that dude. Game 6 starter? Todd McClellan will undoubtedly consider that option. 

Do I think the Sharks still win the series? Yes. But, that elusive fourth win could cost them down the line. Often, the healthiest team has the fast track to the cup. Ohhhhh and while writing this I just got a Team Stream notification. Marc-Edward Vlasic suffered an upper body injury on that hit from Jarret Stoll in the first period. Point made. 


No comments:

Post a Comment