Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Double Edged Sword of Fandom


Skynet went on line August 4, 1997. It became self aware at 2:14 AM Eastern Time, August 29th. Then, it proceeded to nuke Russia and all hell broke loose. Next thing we know, Kyle Reese is in the trenches duking it out with the machines.

This Terminator 2 timeline nearly parallels my volatile relationship with the San Francisco 49ers. In the the early years, I watched games, cheered and mourned like any normal kid. I was still learning the game, my football mind was in its infancy. Like Skynet, I was online, but not yet aware.

Sometime around 1998, the game clicked for me. My understanding of football went to an entirely different level. From the comfort of my own couch, I had become as close to an active participant as possible. Just as Skynet began to learn at a geometric rate, my knowledge grew and evolved. There would be no more blissfull cheering in my future. I was truly aware of football.

Now, imagine Kyle Reese in the remains of Los Angeles, going toe to toe with a bunch of robots. That is the what every Sunday has become for me. A Coors Light fueled, blood pressure through the roof, profanity laced tirade directed at my television. Not healthy. Knowing the ins and outs of the game is undeniably a double edged sword. For every great victory, there are dozens of equally crushing defeats.

Where am I going with all this? Well, three seasons in a row, my 49ers have come heartbreakingly close to a SuperBowl title. Not quite Buffalo Bills status, but still pretty close. I know how hard it is to win in today's NFL. It's nearly impossible to stay at the top for long and unfortunately, no one remembers the teams who almost made it. Knowing this makes Sunday's loss even more difficult to stomach. So, here are the words of comfort I've been saving for the finish. It's ok. It is better to be aware of the game. It is better to rant, rave and either experience the elation or go down with the ship. I know all the emotion put into defeat will be returned one hundred fold when the team achieves the greatest win. For young Niner fans, like myself, this return just happens to be in the future. When I look at individuals like my father, it's hard to believe how much 49er history he has seen. Five decades of heartbreak and triumph. So I took a step back and realized, the pain of these last three years should be looked at as an investment. An investment that will only make a Superbowl victory all the better.



No comments:

Post a Comment