Monday, December 23, 2013

The Colossus of Candlestick

Main Photograph
My Parents Were There, In the Same End Zone... Awesome
Colossus of Candlestick?
I could sit here and write some lengthy, eloquent article about all my fond memories at Candlestick Park. In fact, I actually had two paragraphs written when I decided my writing was stale and the topic somewhat boring. In less than an hour, the final regular season game at Candlestick will kickoff. We all know this. It has been promoted for the entire year.There's no reason for me to preach to you all about my first 49er game, how awesome Steve Young was, or how the Loma Prieta Earthquake interupted the '89 World Series. That would be typical, and lame.

I have decided to bring something different to the table. A proposal of sorts. Come next year, when Candlestick is set to be demolished, the City of San Francisco should make an unprecedented move. Instead of building a mall or luxury condominiums, they should collect all the blown up remnants of the stadium. All of the steel and concrete will then be combined to create an eternal shrine to the heroes of "The Stick." Like a modern day Colossus of Rhodes, this monolith will grace Candlestick Point for all time. That's right friends, I want a 300 foot tall statue of Dwight Clark making The Catch. Just imagine, the year is 2025 and you're driving your son or daughter home from a rollicking 49er victory at Levi's Stadium. When, along the Bayshore Freeway, the massive statue appears. You then get to inform your child of the horrible field, crowded masses, terrible speakers, trough urination system and everything else we love about Candlestick Park. It would be a catalyst for historical discssion. Hell, throw in a huge statue of Willie Mays. It will remind San Francisco fans that Candlestick used to be a baseball park.

Think about it everybody. This is the absolute greatest idea I've ever had. "The Colossus of Candlestick: Wonder of the Modern World."


No comments:

Post a Comment