The Niners put on an absolute clinic against the Jags at London's Wembley Stadium on Sunday. There really isn't much to say about the actual gameplay. It was an offensive, defensive and special teams party for the 49ers. The contest was completely one sided and only mildly entertaining to watch. Obviously though, being a 49er fan, I had a little fun with the beat down. Still, I wouldn't fault anyone for turning that game off after the first quarter. Good teams need to beat bad teams. The 49ers did, covincingly. That's all I have to say about that. However, I do have some opinions on the venue of the game.
If you ask me, the whole idea of a game anywhere overseas is pretty lame. I understand that the NFL wants to expand it's brand to European markets. But seriously, we all know American Football is, well, American. I don't doubt there are many loyal NFL/football fans in England. There actually appeared to be quite a bit of Niner red in the stands yesterday. I just wonder if the English are familiar with the 49ers the same way I'm familiar with Manchester United or Liverpool. I know some of the players and will watch games occasionally, but my interest is casual at most.The Brits might find one or two NFL games a year exciting. Heck, they might even find three games a year exciting. But in my opinion, the NFL has absolutely no future in Europe.
For a moment, lets put the logistical problems aside. Lets forget the crazy time difference or hours of travel. Lets pretend having an NFL team in England is even remotely feasible. Would British fans be able to sustain 50,000-60,000 in attendance every week? I feel the answer is a resounding no. Soccer, ergh, "football" is the king in England. Everyone knows it, don't bother trying to force the NFL on other parts of the world. Do you all remember that little experiment called NFL Europe? Yea, it failed.
A couple exhibition games a year, I can deal with that. But there's no reason to pretend an NFL team in England will succeed. Come on Roger Goodell, it's called Futbol Americano for a reason.
| That Was A Pretty Baller Stadium Though |
No comments:
Post a Comment